kozmic rant

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

A well-rehearsed life

Yesterday night I visited Dostoevsky's world again as I have been doing for the last few days. One of the characters peeked out of the pages at me. I asked him if he ever realized that his life was nothing more than a predictable sequence of well-rehearsed events. This is what he had to say:

I have enacted the same role, underwent the same emotions, lived the same life at least a countless number of times. Everytime somebody has visited me, I have instantly picked up from where he wants me to. I don't fumble with my dialogues anymore and my expressions never are out of sync with my realities. In fact, you have accurately summarized the reality of my life. But you have seen only one dimension of it. My life's initial part runs in one dimension and then stands still rarely ever changing again. It changes only if I gross them out more than they can digest but thats ever so rare. And the second part starts in the second dimension and this is where I keeps repeating it. But the initial part of my life was more eventful than all my readers' collective circumstances. Author would edit my appearance, my disposition, my circumstances allowing me to enact the same moment over and over again in different ways and then decide the best possible combination. In that first dimension, I revisit my past, delete the things I did not like, add the events that I want and be the best possible life. A life that you bother to know about, everybody yearns to know about. I do not speak random passing thoughts but the most optimized responses. Descartes would say "I think therefore I am". And I would say "I thought therefore I have been, I am and forever will be".

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home